Monday, January 2, 2012

Scatterbrained...from the war

Of all the posts that I made during the war, this was another I remember clearly. I thought, really thought, I was handling it - this one showed me that I wasn't quite as together as I thought. I remember wanting to hit myself in the side of my head and say, "CONCENTRATE" - but that was meaningless. I couldn't concentrate on anything other than wondering where Elie was, what was happening, when I would speak to him again, and when it would end. I kept checking the news, listening to the radio. It was cold that day and running the oven seemed a great way to pass time and warm the house. Here's the post from January 2, showing my brain was just...worthless...
Scatterbrained...just...Scatterbrained (January 2, 2009)
I went into my bomb shelter - where I keep my pots and pans and mixing bowls. I'm making vanilla cake muffins with pineapple. I looked at the stack. The white or the yellow bowl? Definitely the yellow bowl, I decided. I reached up and took the white one to the table and began mixing the cake. 
All done. I made 24 little muffins, each with a bit of pineapple in it, and put them into the oven. When they are finished, I thought to myself, I'll continue making something else. Maybe I'll make brownies. Good idea. Well, the white bowl still has batter in it, so I got the yellow one. It was only when I looked up to get the yellow one that I remembered deciding to take the white one. All I could say this time, was that with one bowl up there from which to choose, I got it right. 
I went to add eggs to the mix. There's already an egg in the cup. That means that instead of adding 6 eggs to the white cake, I added only 5 and left one egg in the cup. 
I don't know if I should laugh or cry about it. No, crying would be dumb. I have so much more I could cry about. This morning as I attempted to bake cakes in the wrong bowls and with too few eggs:
  • two rockets landed near Sderot
  • seven rockets landed in Ashkelon, wounding at least one woman
  • a rocket hit near the city of Netivot and people are being treated for shock
  • two other rockets landed near Sha'ar HaNegev - one hitting near a large school
And it is only 10:20 in the morning...and I don't know if those rockets are flying over Elie's head.

No comments:

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.