Friday, June 22, 2012

Take a Bear

Aliza has a bag of the sticky candies that I hate - they are sugar and color, bad for your teeth, just love them.

She gave her father a star last night - "so he would have a good night."

She gave her brother a bear - "so he wouldn't be scared at night," and she gave him two little cherry-shaped candies "so he'd be healthy." She said the last one with a smile because she knows these candies are not healthy.

Am I reading too much into the bear? Is it normal for a 12-year-old to still be just a bit afraid at night?

For her, it has been a long journey...if you haven't followed it, you can read about it in these past posts:
She's come a long way indeed. A few days ago, I was late getting home. She told me she wasn't afraid anymore to be in the house alone. What I liked about her giving her older brother (who towers above me and is even taller than Elie) a candy so he won't be afraid, is the sense that this is another symbol of healing, of moving beyond. 


Alison said...

Thanks so much for writing this blog. I love to read it, and I agree with so much that you say.

Just wondering if you made it into this photo:

Have a great day! :)

A Soldier's Mother said...

Well, sort of - my right arm made it in...if you look on the right side of the picture - you'll see a blue sleeve...that be me :-)

Let's say - A Soldier's Mother's sleeve...

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: