Thursday, August 9, 2012

Two Points for Trying...

So, I don't have a son in the actual army...well, actually I do today, as Elie is in the reserves, but that's the abnormal, not the normal. What I have a lot of this summer is a son in the ambulance squad. David is volunteering at least twice a week for 8 hour shifts. He was on yesterday - and again today. He's a teenager - that means he loves to sleep. Getting up and out of the house and to the ambulance station by 7:00 a.m. is quite an accomplishment for him - and he's been doing it most of the summer. What he doesn't seem to accomplish is taking food along. So, somewhere along the way, when I can, I'll bring him a sandwich (or the makings of it), some chocolate milk or ice tea.

So, on my way home, I offered to bring him dinner. I got busy doing this and that and just called to offer to take over the spaghetti and meat (soy meat, actually) mixture I made for dinner.

He didn't answer his phone - not a good sign because that probably means he is on a run and someone needs attention. Or, it could mean he went to the bathroom and left his phone could mean that. So, after a few minutes, having worked myself up to believe he was there and just didn't get to the phone, I decided to call again. This time he answered in a harried voice, "I"m on a mikreh [a call or happening]; I'll call you in an hour and a half."

I let him get off the phone quickly and then thought - an hour an a half...what that means is that it just started, whatever has happened - or that the mikreh is far away.  Maale Adumim's station has several ambulances here - and we cover from all the way down near the Dead Sea up to the edge of Jerusalem - including many of the Arab areas. The hour and a half includes his time to get to the hospital, drop off the patient, fill out forms and return. There are several hospitals in Jerusalem - four, I think.

Really, there are three that they might go to - depending on the injury and the patient's request. Yesterday, a pregnant woman was hit by a large vehicle - that meant Hadassah Hospital in Ein Kerem - it's the most serious, the most well known - no fooling around.

I don't know what is happening but seconds ago and now in the distance, I can hear a siren. It's a strange feeling to know my son is in that ambulance. I guess his dinner will get cold and I'll have to warm it and take it to him later...I wonder if in the great scoreboard in the sky, I get two points for trying...

No comments:

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: