Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Seeking "bogrim"

Magen David Adom (MADA), the ambulance squad, is asking for volunteers to go south to help. Davidi told me a few minutes ago and I began to think he was telling me he wanted to go. He's only 16. I don't want to let him...would I actually stop him? Could I? Would I?

My mind was racing with its thoughts while he explained. And then I asked, "what are bogrim?" I know what the word is, but I was asking him to clarify. Bogrim comes from the word "to mature" - so bogrim are the mature ones, but more, it is usually meant for those who graduate from school or an institution or course. I was afraid that Davidi, who finished his emergency medical training and is now volunteering with the local ambulance squad (lowest level; plans to take the next levels as soon as he can), etc., was going to tell me he is one of the bogrim.

"18 and up; Elie's age," he told me. Well, Elie isn't 18, but I get the idea - which is, not the kids. And then he told me what I kind of knew - they don't take children under the age of 18 to terrorist attacks and not, apparently, to war-threatened areas.

"If there were an attack here," he added, "I wouldn't be allowed to go."

One worry down....for now...he'll be 17 in another few months....one year left before I have to worry about the next time MADA needs bogrim.

No comments:

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.