Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Funny Side of War?

Five years later, I can laugh about something that nearly broke me back then. I was writing my guts out, trying not to think where Elie was...and trying to forget the huge booms I heard in the background the few times I was able to speak to him on the phone.

In the midst of all of this, I was contacted by some journalists. I don't know whether my blog appearing in The Guardian and the New York Times came before or after these contacts. Only later did I find out that these newspapers had found my blog and quoted a small section. It was enough to send my daily visits above 10,000 per day...but not enough, for me to notice.

I was focused on getting through each day; trying to keep Elie's brothers and sisters from understanding that I was terrified. So, I spoke to a journalist from Italy, and another from Korea. And then I got an email with a request from a journalist in Indonesia name Faisal.

I didn't trust him - rightly so. And so I suggested that he send me his questions and I would answer them. That way, I thought, it would be documented and he couldn't edit or censor it without my having proof of the context in which I placed my words.

His questions were hilarious...and so I decided to answer them on MY blog rather than in his newspaper. At one point I asked him how stupid he thought I was. I wrote the post here:

Journalist Uncovered - Liar Exposed

What I should have done in the first place, was to search for Faisal Assegaf. Then, I would have come to his blog, Hamas Lovers. He claimed that he picked the name to attract attention. Whatever his reasons, it appears then and now, he makes a policy of stealing pictures from other sites and doesn't easily understand the concept of copyright infringement.

When I found his blog, I was shocked to see a picture of Elie there. I lost it, plain and simple. I threatened to sue him for international copyright infringement and in an email I sent him - I think I also threatened to sue his newspaper, his city and maybe even his country. It's kind of a blur. I gave him 24 hours...amazingly enough, Elie's picture was down within 5 minutes - later replaced by another picture of another Israeli soldier...and there are others there as well.

Hamas Lovers and Copyright Infringement

No comments:

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.