Thursday, May 15, 2014

How Long is 90 Seconds?

You ever feel time is getting away from you? Well, I just lost 90 seconds. According to Israel's Home Front Command, where previously I was told that I had 3 minutes to get to shelter in the event my area was attacked by missiles, the latest announcement says I now have 90 seconds.

What does that mean? Nothing really - I mean, they aren't expecting a missile to hit here any time soon. My bomb shelter is on the main level of the house. It's a nice size room we use as storage, a guest room, and an office. It's right next to my bedroom, maybe 20-30 feet away. I could count the tiles and give you an exact amount, but it doesn't really matter. My granddaughter could probably crawl there in 3 minutes. You can run there in seconds.
Even from upstairs, in the event of a siren, the two children who sleep upstairs could be down here in isn't the time. More than anything - it's the concept. Three minutes is forever when the siren sounds. I know. I remember last winter. We walked to the bomb shelter - feeling silly. Would they really fire a missile at Jerusalem? It must be a it was during the Gaza War in 2007.

Only this time, it wasn't a mistake. This time it was real...and still we walked there. More than one missile did hit the Jerusalem area and though we don't like to talk about it - one hit Tel Aviv as well. We don't have 3 minutes anymore.

Beersheva still has 60 seconds. I'm glad for them...I was afraid their time had been cut in half as well.

Ninety minutes isn't a long time at all...

No comments:

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: