Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A Target on Their Backs

Elie stopped by a few minutes ago - bringing a special lasagna that Lauren made and taking small pieces of the broccoli quiche and mushroom/corn quiche I made in return. It's one of the many blessings involved with having a married child live so close. The baby has been fussy...she's teething all the time and I got to rock her to sleep and see her for a few minutes.

As Elie was about to leave, we began a discussion of politics. He said he doesn't ever remember an American administration who has flip-flopped so often and so drastically on Israel and on its stand against terrorism. He celebrated his 27th birthday a few days ago. He seems young and yet at times, infinitely wise.

What is interesting is that he accepts Obama's betrayal of Israel as a given. What surprises him is Obama's trading with the Taliban - five murderers for one soldier.

"What Obama did was put a target on every American soldier's back - in uniform, not in uniform - anywhere, everywhere."

Wow, I thought. He's right. This is, essentially, what we live with all the time, wherever we go. When Davidi went to Poland, he was warned. They went with an Israeli guard...an Israeli who "lives" in Poland and has a gun license. His job is to protect Israelis touring the concentration camps. The Israeli guard checked out the hotels before they entered, the buses, etc.

Israelis have lived as targets for the longest time - but I don't think Americans have.

I listen to country music...I've confessed that before. There's a song on the online radio station and one line is "welcome to the future." Thanks to Obama's action - indeed, the value of every American soldier just went up.

We traded Gilad Shalit for over 1,000 murderers and terrorists. Where do you think it began? With Gilad? No...it likely began in 1974 when Palestinian terrorists besieged an Israeli school in Maalot and took dozens of teenagers hostage. In announcing the unprecedented decision to negotiate with terrorists, then Prime Minister Golda Meir said that Israel "cannot wage its wars on the backs of its children."

There were other deals...each worse than the next. I have always said what starts in Israel often spreads to the rest of the world. This was true about the light of monotheism and it is true about the darkness of terrorism and suicide attacks that now take place in many lands (but thankfully only rarely in Israel).

So America has now joined Israel on the slippery slope of appeasement and where it will end is anyone's guess.

What is quite clear, is that in agreeing to give up five terrorists for one soldier, Obama has, as Elie so clearly stated, drawn a target on the back of every US soldier.

At least when Golda Meir did it, it was to save innocent children and one might argue that we did not know it would bring us to where we are. Obama certainly cannot make the same claim.

2 comments:

Tania said...

Mrs. Stern, Thank you for sharing and reminding all U.S. Mothers just what might be our future. I have followed you for quite sometime now. I have such a deep respect for you! I have no clues as to our future here. I stay very close to my God and keep eyes & ears open at all times! But, I think of you and your shared experiences quite often and I am so grateful that I have learned precious tools from you. I will return and reread your sharing's of working hard to keep life as balanced as possible. I thank you and your precious Blog! Respectfully, Tania from Texas!

Tania said...

Mrs. Stern, Thank you for sharing and reminding all U.S. Mothers just what might be our future. I have followed you for quite sometime now. I have such a deep respect for you! I have no clues as to our future here. I stay very close to my God and keep eyes & ears open at all times! But, I think of you and your shared experiences quite often and I am so grateful that I have learned precious tools from you. I will return and reread your sharing's of working hard to keep life as balanced as possible. I thank you and your precious Blog! Respectfully, Tania from Texas!

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.