Monday, June 23, 2014

The Age of the Sword

A 17-year-old Arab "boy" was just arrested near a mall in Netanya with a sword and an axe. It's hard to believe he had innocent intentions.

I read the report. My Hebrew is quite good, but it is a functional level of Hebrew. I know the words I need to know, and a few others. For some reason, I knew the word for sword, but stumbled because I was more ready to believe I was translating it incorrectly than that a 17-year-old was attempting to use one. I didn't know the word for axe at all.

I read the words to Elie - who came around to look over my shoulder, not trusting that I was reading the words correctly. "Sword and axe," he translated, and then added, "Where's his bow and arrow?"

I thought of the three boys we are working so hard to get back. Two 16-year-olds and a 19-year-old - Naftali, Gilad, and Eyal. These are our children...and this is theirs - a 17-year-old, already going to make war...

And Elie's next comment made me smile, "Hey, smart guy, we have guns."

Gotta love that kid...but no, he isn't a kid. He's 27, a husband, a father.

The three who were kidnapped are boys. They have never gone to war, never been sent by their parents to attack others. And this 17-year-old, do I call him a boy? He's not a man yet...and certainly, if his "handlers" had their way, he never will be.

Perhaps in the truest sense, this boy's culture has remained in the dark ages, where swords and axes are their weapons.

No comments:

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.