Monday, July 7, 2014

A Call to Arms

According to news sources, 1,500 reservists are being called up. I go to some of my favorite news sites to see if there is more information. They don't mention units, but they do say that at this point, that it is mostly commanders and part of the Home Front Command being called in. Elie is not, I think, part of the Home Front division, but he is definitely a commander.

I don't want to do this again. I spoke to Elie a while ago. He doesn't think he will be called up. I remember the exact feeling the last time - just over 2 years ago, when Lauren called me and told me Elie had been called in. I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. Over the phone, Lauren told me to sit down. I remember thinking I needed to breathe. I'm trying to breathe now. I don't want to do this again.

I know. It's just a stupid thing to write. It is Elie that will have to do "it" if he is called up. To some extent, it is his wife that will have to deal with it all - that this is yet another example of when the mother tries to step back and let the wife be the main contact. Only she's visiting with her much missed family in the States now. I don't know if he'll get the call. I have to hope he is right and that this will end before, that it won't be his unit. Of course, it might still be, it will be - another mother's son's unit. I have lived in this country for almost 21 years. I've been through several almost wars and two real wars. I don't want to do this again.

The first time Elie was sent to war, I didn't know one way or the other whether it would really be a war and even if it was, whether Elie would be sent. It was November, 2008 and Gaza was firing dozens of rockets at us - just like today.

At the time, it seemed like a 50/50 chance. Just as likely to go north as to be sent south - but both Lebanon and Gaza were threatening war in that horrible month of December, 2008. Last time, I was so calm and sure he wouldn't really go to war...who thinks their son will go to war?

This time, I just don't know. It will, I think, depend on the next few hours and where the rockets hit.

Over 170 rockets have been fired at Israel since midnight; 40 in the last hour alone. Iron Dome has hit a dozen or so, more keep falling. Alarms are again sounding. We didn't hear anything, but we see reports that a siren was heard in Jerusalem. One site says Tel Aviv had sirens too. Friends in many parts of the country are reporting that they heard sirens.

Davidi decided to do a "mishmeret" - a shift - in MADA in Jerusalem and he's not answering his phone. Nothing was reported to have exploded but the bus to our neighborhood has been attacked five times in the last few days - always late at night. On one bus today, the driver came wearing a helmet. I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that one.

Israel is calling up some soldiers; rockets are raining down on us almost faster than we can count them.

I call on every member of Knesset to go to the south now - to spend the night there and tomorrow as well. Our leaders have always lead from the front - go there now. Let the world see you there! Dare them to be silent by making more noise than ever.

And as I posted on Facebook a few minutes ago:

Dear Israel - this is not the first time; this is not the last time. It's very dark right now but our army is out there, our air force is out there - our sons and daughters are not sleeping and most of all, the Protector of Israel is not sleeping...

3 comments:

Gail Griner Golden at Gail-Friends said...

Praying for you, your son, and for all of Israel. Standing with you,
Gail Golden

Anonymous said...

My thought are with you and with Israel.
Please G-d protect my people!

Anonymous said...

I too am praying for Israel. God Bless our soldiers, and keep them SAFE! May all of the operations be successful, and let every Israeli soldier return home to his or her family, amen! Jan

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.