Friday, August 8, 2014

Ceasefire Broken by Hamas

I have to admit, I was surprised. Hamas said they would not honor the ceasefire past 8:00 a.m. - I expected it earlier. I didn't think they would hold out until 8:00 a.m. - Why bother, I thought - the world will see you as the one who broke it, so by their logic, better to hit the enemy unprepared.

Only, we were prepared - as in the past, our jets were already flying over Gaza, watching the skies; as always Iron Dome teams man the controls...

But I was surprised - they really waited until 8:00 a.m. - though I have to ask if they are stupid enough to think that makes them honorable?

At 8:00 a.m. - they opened fire - Iron Dome shot down one missile over Ashkelon; more sirens in the communities near Gaza.

I wrote yesterday that it wasn't over. I watched last night as people danced and celebrated that the boys where home. A father told me that his son was coming home today and I told him to wait, I wasn't sure they'd release him.

It isn't over - it never was.

Hamas gave the world 72 hours and made impossible demands and now blames Israel saying we didn't agree to their terms. Will the world believe Hamas?

I keep hoping that this time they won't. That this time, they will say - listen, WE know you have been hiding behind children. What kind of people are you? We know you have been firing from civilian areas. How else can Israel fight you and protect its people?

This time, finally, journalists are coming out of Gaza and telling the truth. One Finnish reporter, after showing Hamas was firing from civilian areas, from sites that should be considered sacred and outside war zones, was horrified that pro-Israel people were spreading her reports. Don't use me, she quickly warned - how interesting. In a normal world, a reporter would thank anyone who promoted her work. Her message was clear - please, don't let anyone think I support Israel...

We have been a nation at war for 66 years...all of our existence we have been fighting a culture that worships everything we refuse to surrender to - death, violence, hatred.

Last night, all over Israel, there were weddings and celebrations. Parties welcoming our sons home. Parents hugged their sons and prayed they'd never have to send them out to war again.

Over 25,000 Reservists were sent home with the gratitude of a nation. Thank you for leaving your families to defend Israel...

In the coming days, more might be called each turn, it all depends on Hamas and the road they choose to take.

I am not optimistic.

No comments:

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: