Thursday, August 14, 2014

Four Days in the Life of a Fourteen Year Old Girl

In the midst of the war, Aliza's youth group's annual summer camp date arrived this week. Four days of hiking and camping out. She was a bit horrified that there would be no showers (she was happy that in the last night there was finally facilities for a shower). She went prepared...two phones, three batteries.

She took enough sweets and candies to last a month - and ate almost none of them. She's been drinking a lot - that's good and smart because it's August in Israel which translates to HOT, HOT, and HOTTER.

With the grace of God, there was a ceasefire during the entire time...except that Hamas broke it at 9:30 last night and I fought the urge to get in the car and go get her. With each siren and each report of a rocket hitting, I told myself I was being ridiculous, and I was. She had already gotten very close to Jerusalem - not out of range, but still quite far.

I kept thinking they should have canceled the camp...though Aliza is so happy that they didn't. As to what they did - over the last four days, she has walked from Beit Shemesh to Jerusalem - not only a distance of 47 kilometers (29.2 miles) but uphill as well.

She walked 10 kilometers the first day; 15 the next. She walked 13 kilometers yesterday and will walk the final 9 kilometers today. She asked me to make her chicken soup (which I make with turkey)...she said that's all she wants.

So...I'm leaving work early today to go home and make the soup I would normally make tomorrow...because I can't wait to have her home and because despite my own cowardice, I am so proud that she walked 47 kilometers seeing some of the most beautiful areas of Israel!


NancyB said...

I love this post! So glad she was able to do this and obviously she had a sensational time hiking!!!

Batya Medad said...

This post is included in Shiloh Musings: עֵקֶב "And it shall come to pass..." Havel Havelim

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: