Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Who Wins the Race?

When I was little, my mother gave me a poem called, State of Mind. With the wonder of Internet, I found the poem long ago. I had remembered bits and pieces of it and finally had the whole (which had been typed with a typewriter and posted on a card on my cork board for the longest time. That card got lost over time, college, marriage, and kids, but the poem remains.

I think of it whenever I am challenged to do something, especially something that relies not on my abilities, but on other things.

I've got a challenge now. On the face of things, it is a challenge to write something. The first time I participated, a few years ago, I thought long and hard and wrote a good entry. And then was disappointed to see that it really had little to do with quality and everything to do with quantity. I could have posted, "I want to win" - and won simply by asking what I am going to ask you now.

The next year, disillusioned, I didn't participate - what is the purpose? A popularity contest? I was assured that there were additional prizes for quality and substance - so I entered again and won a book. I nice book, but let's face it, several thousand dollars in prizes versus a book...yeah, prizes.

I didn't participate again for the next few years. This year, I decided to participate and try for both quality and quantity so I wrote a good post on some skills you need to have an interview here.

And now, I'm asking everyone to click the link - I need 6-7,000 unique visitors to win. Current top person has over 5,000. I'm not sure why I'm so determined to win, but I am. And amazingly enough, as much as I'd like the prize, I feel like I'm making a point.

The link is here: https://jobmob.co.il/blog/top-job-interviewing-skills/

All I need you to do is click it (maybe even once a day will help), but certainly once and ask your friends to do it too.

And why did I mention the State of Mind poem? The last stanza of the poem is this:

Life battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man
But sooner or later, the man who wins
Is the fellow who thinks he can

No, this doesn't count as life's battles - that would be having a son in the army, standing beside your daughter as she gives birth. That would be waiting to hear about a missing child, have a friend or relative who is very sick. That would be fighting to keep a family together, helping a child who has so much potential and ability, but still struggles in school.

But the point is that if you think you can, you're more likely to get to that finish line than if you think you can't. No, you won't always win, and I might not win this contest, but sooner or later, the one who wins is quite simply the one who believes enough to try.

That really is the story of Israel - in 1948, desperate beyond anything you can likely imagine, we fought what any sane military expert would say was a no-win situation. No, this "battle" to win this contest isn't in that category by any means - I'm not desperate, lives don't depend on it, I'll lose nothing if I lose. But hey, it would be fun, right - so please help - one click - and it really is a good article!

Leave a comment if you can - anything will help!



Brat said...

Done and done....

Poke And Nudge said...

Your job interview article is spot on. I passed it on.

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.