Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Robby Berman's Sense of Humor

I've always tried to have a sense of humor and to accept that sometimes I think things are funny when others do not and, conversely, sometimes I think things aren't funny when others think they are hysterical.

The image of the exhausted baby nodding off in different directions to the hysterical laughter of the parents...no, sorry - please, take that child and let them rest comfortably. The "It's a Moron" video (take off from It's Amore) now making its way on Facebook showing dozens of...well, yeah...morons...jumping off roofs, crashing into poles, setting themselves on fire while posturing for the camera - sorry, most of these look painful and when funny turns to painful, it just isn't funny anymore. Same with humiliation. I'm not into laughing at the humiliation of others.

Apparently, Robby Berman, proud founder and director of the Halachic Organ Donor Society, doesn't have that problem. He can laugh when someone else is humiliated and gets personally insulted if you don't laugh with him.

Today on Facebook, he posted a video of two Israeli soldiers stationed on the rooftops somewhere. I could guess where, but there's no reason.

I won't post a link to the video. It shows one soldier climbing a full body's length below the rooftop.

When he gets up there, the second one hands up their weapons and then tries to boost himself up - with very little to assist him - and as he struggles, the music clicks in - laughter, childish, evil, nearly hysterical sounding laughter. The soldier drops down to the lower station, tries again, and again. The soldier from above tries to assist - fails...and finally, all accompanied to the wicked laughter dubbed in, the soldier finally manages to dump himself over the wall to the higher station.

The comment Robby Berman added to this video he decided to share goes like this:

"For all my Arab friends, you got me, this is hysterical! For all my right wing friends who can't laugh at themselves...piss off."

Well, first I'll say I'm not Robby Berman's friend.

Second I'll say that this isn't laughing about "themselves" as in "ourselves." This is laughing at an Israeli soldier stationed in some hostile environment.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who was offended. The first person that I know to notice this disgusting Facebook post was Dave Bender, who posted his own response here:


It seems that Robby Berman only has a sense of humor when ridiculing others but not when people disagree with him. He unfriended several of those who disagreed with him. He is so proud of his ability to unfriend those who don't like his "sense of humor" (so much for the plurality and open-mindedness). He even boasted about his ability to cut off people who disagree with him:

Robby can't unfriend me because we aren't friends. So I felt free to post my opinion, citing two people I know who ARE friends with him...

Who should come to Robby's defense...his mother! Now, a mother has a choice in any situation...she can agree with a child or disagree; she can educate or support them when they go wrong. Sadly, Hannah chose wrong.


Sadly, I doubt that Robby will wake up. Meanwhile, others have added their comments (I assume Robby hasn't had a chance to delete them yet).




What I find ironic is what Robby does for a living. He is the "founder and director" of the "Halachic Organ Donor Society" - whatever that is...
Clearly, Robby believes that people should donate their organs when they die. I wonder how many Israeli soldiers have agreed to donate their organs...I personally know the family of at least one. I can't help but wonder what they would feel if they saw Robby's insensitive comment. 

Thank you, Toby...another friend of Robby's who disagrees with him!

Is this really what the director of an organization such as his should be posting to Facebook...what does it say about him...and perhaps about the organization he founded?

To be fair, Robby couldn't have known that just hours after he posted this video, two Israelis would be stabbed, one critically. At this moment, doctors are fighting to save his life after he was stabbed in the neck. Like Robby, this young soldier has worked hard to save others - he is a paramedic; the second soldier his assistant medic.

A sense of humor is a wonderful gift - but only when it is used wisely and properly. The video is accompanied with the wicked, gleeful laughter that clearly indicates, despite Robby's mother's attempt to indicate otherwise, joy at the soldier failing to climb to the much higher perch. I would love to see Robby post a video of himself trying to maneuver the same climb...but never mind. 

I'll end with two more comments - the last the most relevant.

What if one of the two guys stabbed this morning has signed on to be a HODS donor...should they think this is funny...and if they don't...will you tell them to "piss off"?

And here, Robby, is where you choose to be the kind of man, human being, Israeli, you could be...you can spend the next while deleting these comments and pretending that your comment wasn't out of line, that you didn't just side with our enemies...you can agree that your comment was out of line, certainly insensitive. You can rise up and apologize...to the two soldiers injured today, to all soldiers and to all Israelis....

Or, you can keep deleting comments, unfriending people on Facebook and stick to the idea that it's okay to laugh at people doing their jobs, support the humiliation of good people and then expect people to consider you sensitive, mature, and compassionate enough to discuss the issue of organ donation.

...by the way, how many Arabs agree to donate organs through your organization?

Oh...and Robby's response....


Well, that's a fail in my department...lighten up...sure, no problem, Robby...by the way, the bus that comes to my city was stoned about an hour ago. Lighten up, right? Oh, and the light rail was just stoned again this morning. Lighten up, right? 

I guess the old double standard is alive and well...



7 comments:

TommyS said...

WOW, At first I thought this Robby was quite ridiculous (The kindest word I could find) in thinking this was funny in such context. I then asked myself how smart could he really be, then I see he went to Harvard, and then I asked myself what do they teach there?

Something is wrong with his programming and the programming at Harvard.

Nachum said...

He deleted the comment where I said this, but I basically said, OK, so some soldiers ended up looking silly. I suppose in a vacuum posting something like this would be completely harmless (but maybe not), but once it comes from an Arab source, with a laughing soundtrack, it's not. But leaving all that aside- OK, so we all do stupid stuff at times, and maybe we can have a chuckle. What put it over the edge for me was his title- *he's* the one who made this all sensitive and "political." Had he said, say, "We all think IDF soldiers are commandos, but here they can't get over a wall, ha ha," it might be inappropriate but not offensive. But to say, "Arabs think this is funny. So do I. Right-wingers are a bunch of humorless types, profanity profanity" really crosses a line. (And, by the way, "piss off" is a British expression in this context, so I don't know where he gets off using it.)

And then, of course, he deleted the responses, which just puts a perfect capper on it.

I also asked him if he actually had Arab friends. Leftists love to claim they do- always have- but it's usually their plumber or something, or at most some upper-class intellectual who's about as representative of "real Arabs" as Haaretz is of Israelis.

mmatitya said...

I just left a comment on Robby Berman's post. Since he finds it "quite fun and empowering" to "unfriend[] people and delet[e] people's comments" when they don't share his politics or his sense of humor, I decided to leave a copy of my comment here as well:

@Robby: I was curious about the source of the video that you shared and found so funny, so I decided to take a look at the FB page that posted it: Marah FM Radio, a "Palestinian" radio station in Hebron.

Marah's FB page is filled with vile hate-filled propaganda. Wading through the cesspool there, my attention was drawn to another video about Israeli soldiers that they posted just today: This is a clip from Israel Channel 2, depicting the sequence of events last July 20 that led to the Hamas attack on an IDF APC, in which seven soldiers were burned to death, and the body of one (Oren Shaul) was abducted by Hamas and is still being held by them to this day.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=889737791090031&set=vb.141463262584158&type=2&theater

The clip is posted to celebrate the attack, and it's captioned, "Watch: How the resistance captured the soldier Shaul in Gaza". There's also a comment posted in response, reading, "God bless the resistance".

I also took a look at the original post by Marah Radio of the "funny" video that you shared with us. (Just click on the word "video" at the end of "Marah FM's video" at the top of your own post to see it yourself.) It has over 30,000 "Likes", and thousands of comments. Here are a couple of examples:
* "LOL! Death to the Jew pigs!"
* "Inshallah we shall shaughter and drink the blood of all these weaklings!"

(I trust you're not offended by any of that. And if you are, then "lighten up".)

These are the people whose video you are sharing and with whom you are laughing.

Kol hakavod.

mmatitya said...

I just left a comment on Robby Berman's post. Since he finds it "quite fun and empowering" to "unfriend[] people and delet[e] people's comments" when they don't share his politics or his sense of humor, I decided to leave a copy of my comment here as well:

@Robby: I was curious about the source of the video that you shared and found so funny, so I decided to take a look at the FB page that posted it: Marah FM Radio, a "Palestinian" radio station in Hebron.

Marah's FB page is filled with vile hate-filled propaganda. Wading through the cesspool there, my attention was drawn to another video about Israeli soldiers that they posted just today: This is a clip from Israel Channel 2, depicting the sequence of events last July 20 that led to the Hamas attack on an IDF APC, in which seven soldiers were burned to death, and the body of one (Oren Shaul) was abducted by Hamas and is still being held by them to this day.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=889737791090031&set=vb.141463262584158&type=2&theater

The clip is posted to celebrate the attack, and it's captioned, "Watch: How the resistance captured the soldier Shaul in Gaza". There's also a comment posted in response, reading, "God bless the resistance".

I also took a look at the original post by Marah Radio of the "funny" video that you shared with us. (Just click on the word "video" at the end of "Marah FM's video" at the top of your own post to see it yourself.) It has over 30,000 "Likes", and thousands of comments. Here are a couple of examples:
* "LOL! Death to the Jew pigs!"
* "Inshallah we shall shaughter and drink the blood of all these weaklings!"

(I trust you're not offended by any of that. And if you are, then "lighten up".)

These are the people whose video you are sharing and with whom you are laughing.

Kol hakavod.

Frank said...

You're so a spoilsport! Of course the vid is funny but I hope you don't have any plans to cross the Suez canal in near future

Anonymous said...

He went to some respectable Yeshivos. I doubt they appreciate having their names associated with them -- these are not the values that those yeshivos try to inculcate. - ahad ha'amorastim

Mordechai Y. Scher said...

Fortunately, Israelis don't need him or his organization to donate their organs after death.

I heard him speak at a nursing conference about a year ago. I wasn't impressed. Now I'm less impressed. But at least he and his mother are impressed.

And Harvard stopped being the be all and end all a long time ago.

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.