Friday, April 24, 2015

The Gift of the Sabbath

Once in a while, I am completely overwhelmed with the simple joy of Shabbat. I know that I should be every week, but too often, Shabbat is a refuge from the rest of the week, from computers, from phones, from work. It's that, but so much more.

It's been a good week here. Already work-wise, next week is shaping up to be overwhelming. I've got meetings in four different cities and too much work piling's almost scary how much there is...(though I'm not complaining...I'm really not). But this past week was quieter, easier. I took all of Yom HaZikaron, not just half of it. So it meant a week in which I mostly didn't work for two days, mostly concentrated on the house, the family, my thoughts.

Yesterday was great - we did almost nothing, and I loved every minute of it. We went to the fireworks; we had a barbecue; I made pizza and everyone ate almost all of it. In short, it was almost perfect. Not completely. There were important elements missing, but I've been missing these things for so long now I've almost gotten to the point of painful acceptance. That's the way it is when things are out of your control...and when are they not?

So, for the most part, I concentrate on what I can do, what I can change. Don't ask me what I'm talking about...please. The person who can change it, won't; the person who could make it better is as much responsible for making it bad...I've done what I can do and if a person can say that, that's really the end of it.

Enough mystery - that was yesterday. Time with my husband, great food. And yesterday after all was said and cooked, Elie and Davidi roasted two chickens on the grill for our I've got even less I have to do today.

I've got brownies and potato kugel in the oven (strange combination but they aren't fighting at all). I have a table full of challah and challah rolls waiting to go in...soup on the stove, the rice for sushi already made.

Elie's daughter came up a while ago and saw the challah rolls and said, "lalla."

The gift of the Sabbath often starts on the preparation and the anticipation.

And all day long, people have been dropping books off by my front door for the next Maale Adumim Book Swap (learn more about our Book Swap idea here). It's been an amazing concept for more than four years, raising tens of thousands of shekels for charity...and the excitement and dedication of the people in my community, surrounding areas (Jerusalem, the Gush, Beit Shemesh, even as far as up north near Beit Shean) staggers the mind. In just a few hours, people have brought over 250 books to my door and we are well underway and likely to expect close to 5,000 books...again!

The next Book Swap will be held on Sunday, May 3 beginning at 7:30 p.m.!

No comments:

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: