Wednesday, September 2, 2015

My Brag

I'm on a Facebook group of mothers - some professional, some not. It's a diverse group at varying points of their lives - some with very young children, some with teenagers, some older. I'm one of the old ones...

Once a week, they have what they call a "brag" day - a day when you write about something that you're proud of. Many write about a new job; some go for simpler. I've done it a few times but I'm beginning to think that I want to do it more often - not so much because I want to brag, but because posting something good about yourself is a way of admitting you are proud of something you accomplished.

So, today I posted and after I wrote it, I was proud of what I'd written and I decided to share it here because I think in the brag, there is a lesson for all of us.

Here's my brag:
Brag for the day: yesterday I walked from the Iriyah train station to the Yaffo Mercaz station (1 stop). I had hoped to walk two stops to my office at the HaDavidka stop, but I couldn't do it.

I've been sick all summer with CMV - for many this very common virus (90% of people get it...many with no symptoms and sometimes not even knowing they have/had it) was devastating and I'm fighting my way back. From barely being able to walk from my bedroom to the couch in the living room, sleeping long hours and then also taking a nap, this was huge for me.

I've tried to work over the summer, with varying levels of success. Had no vacation - did nothing with the children. We usually take a few days, go kayaking...instead, my kids mostly took care of me. My 19-year-old made Shabbat (he rarely cooks anything more than eggs or noodles) for a month; my husband did all the shopping.

My lessons - sometimes you have to let others. Sometimes you have to admit you can't. I transferred one client to one of my writers - she's doing a great job and now understands the software application better than I do. I rested. I did nothing. Every time I pushed, I ended up back at Terem (3 times and counting). So my brag is that I walked because even small steps are major ones and important and worth being proud of. And my second brag is that I didn't walk the second distance because admitting your limitations is also something to be proud of.

This doesn't compare to some of the amazing brags I've seen here in the last few weeks but I think that's why I'm posting it. I think the concept of the weekly brag is wonderful and I think every single one of you amazing mothers has something to brag about...so even if it's something as simple as walking...be proud of yourself. I am...I walked where for the last 7 weeks...I really couldn't!

1 comment:

Batya Medad said...

B"H, I'm glad that you're doing better. Don't push too hard. You can work on getting fit after you're healthy.

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.