Thursday, May 5, 2016

Can it ever really be enough? Too much?

Part of me wants to apologize for flooding your this blog with images a nd names and thoughts of the Holocaust. I can almost feel people saying, "enough already" and "yeah, we got it" and then I think...

Of my husband...who never knew what it was to have a grandparent and now he is one...what his grandparents missed out on is immeasurable; what he missed out on...he is only now beginning to understand.

Of Gavriella - she is in my mind and my heart today...

Of Shaye and Chaim Eliezer and Yehoshua and Shmuel and Benyamin Elimelech...of Esther Chaya...of Pereleah...of Raizel and her two daughters...of 300 nameless relatives...of six million...six million...

Of Poland. Of Germany. Of Israel...bound forever in painful memories...

Of my children - each one tied to the Holocaust through a name, a memory...

Of my mother-in-law who lived her life trying so hard to stay out of the light, to raise her children always in fear of the Nazis coming back to harm her children, as they had stolen her parents and grandparents, her sister and brothers.

Of my father-in-law, who used humor and strength, who dared to defy and still, thankfully, survive, who lost his parents and grandparents, a sister and brothers, who named his children for a lost and stolen generation.

Of all the survivors who live with what happened more than 70 years ago, as if it happened yesterday or worse, might happen again tomorrow.

Of all the children in Israel today, who are being taught - once they beat us, starved us, gassed us...once, but never again.

Never again can be just words, or it can be a solemn promise. Today, it is a solemn promise so I'll apologize if I am overwhelming you with posts on this one subject...

How many times can she write about this? How much of the day will it consume her? I guess we'll find out...

1 comment:

Sheridan said...

Never apologise...your stories need to be told, as do all the stories from the Holocaust!

The world, I feel, often tries to ignore, forget or downplay the Holocaust, which scares me greatly. It was only 70 years ago...and yet it seems as though the lessons of the past have not been learned.

These stories cause me to reflect, to consider my heart and my worldview, to keep my eyes open to the subtle, insidious anti-semitism that is beginning to rise in my country (and others).

It makes me praise God once again, for the nation of Israel.

Blessings from down under

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.