Sunday, September 4, 2016

Wabi Sabi

Okay - so for months now, I've been taking part - mostly, in this 52 Frames Challenge. I've been doing well for the last few weeks.

Two weeks ago, it was silhouettes. I was ready to give up, but my amazing son-in-law wouldn't let me. He keeps teaching me, showing me, guiding me and he wouldn't let this one go so I followed along...and totally fell in love with the results. To be honest, it was my finger that pressed the button but in so many ways, all the rest was his work.

I joked that he gave me a hand in submitting this one - quite literally.

Then, last week, another challenge. Given that we were in the beautiful city of Tsfat (Safed) in the north and staying in a very old house with amazing arches, this was an easy one. The challenge was simply - Windows and so I looked around and found an amazing example...right there in the house we were renting.

From the minute we walked in, I had had my eye on this window. I've always been a sucker for window seats but imagine combining that window seat with a stone arch. And add to that, light pouring in the window.

Here too, I had help with the idea - it was Aliza who noticed the reflection of the window's light on the dining room table.

And once again, I had my shot.

And then we got to this week and for the last 5 or 6 days, I was sure I was going to skip the week and break my 4 in a row running.

Wabi-Sabi? This week's challenge was Wabi Sabi. There have been times when they gave us something that was different than I expected or something I understood but wasn't sure how to implement but this one...what the heck is Wabi-Sabi.?

I had no clue. Even after they explained it, I was convinced it was just not going to happen this week.

For the most part, I have accepted that this challenge thing isn't about competing with others. I'm so not in that class. This is about learning, enjoying, and yes, competing with myself. I sometimes carry the camera with me for days. I'll take 50 pictures before I find the one that best represents the challenge. But Wabi-Sabi? I wasn't entirely sure I hadn't seen it on a menu somewhere.

Well, since you asked:

If that doesn't help you, don't feel bad - it didn't help me either...until I read it slowly.

It's about beauty in imperfection. We try to take that perfect shot, right, all balanced and complete? This is about taking that imperfect shot. I went outside and started taking pictures and came back inside discouraged and then I remembered a gift from my father, from his mother, from her grandfather. My great, great grandfather used this and sometimes we do as well.

It's made of wood. It's probably at least 100 years old. It has four painted sides, each a holy site in Israel. Imagine this wooden box in the freezing cold of Russia, reminding them of the warmth of this land that I love so much. Four images - the Tomb of Absalom, son of King David, David's Citadel, Rachel's Tomb, and finally the Western Wall (Kotel). What you see in the picture is that side - the Western Wall - and through the middle, a crack. Wabi-Sabi - imperfection. Beauty in imperfection.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Loved these pictures! (I think the window was my favorite.) That arch, the reflection... great job!

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: