Saturday, October 8, 2016

The Boy Came Home

David came home yesterday for what is basically a relatively long vacation. He has to go to an appointment tomorrow and another long day on Monday - both nights sleeping at home and then he's got off for the long holiday of Sukkot - 7 days off!

He came home Friday exhausted and wanted to sleep. He ate and crashed and hours later woke up still irritable and tired. After the Sabbath started, he went to rest more...and then, when he joined us for dinner, the boy came down to the table. The man was there somewhere, but the boy he'd been before the army was there too. He teased his younger sister, played with these magnet things on the table after we'd finished.

He was relaxed and free today and at one point, with his laughing and teasing, I said to him, "Grow up!" and realized that I'm glad there's still that boy inside. He's got decisions to make in life; things he has to do. It's nice when sometimes he reminds me that he's all of 20 years old. Israel has put so much responsibility on him. He takes it seriously. He's a good soldier They tell him what time to be somewhere, and he does everything he can to be on time.

They tell him to dress a certain way, and he does. He is on alert; watchful, aware. But through it all, he's still 20 years old. When we went to sit at the dining room table with our guests for the meal, we added extra chairs. As I went to sit down, Davidi motioned me to stop and then switched - giving me the nicer chair. As we sat down next to each other, we both realized at the same time that the folding chair he took for himself seats him higher than the dining room chair he left for me. He grinned as he looked down at me and I laughed.

He reached over and took a piece of my food, teasing and laughing. He's 20 years old and he's home and I'm loving every minute of it.

The man will get up early tomorrow and get dressed in his uniform, but he'll take the boy with him too but I have a feeling I'll be seeing that boy a lot in the coming two weeks and that makes me so happy.

Good night Davidi, good night David.

No comments:

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.