Thursday, January 26, 2017

Beyond A Post Gone Viral

What do you do when something you write touches a nerve and goes around the world tens of thousands of times? Well, I guess you smile, wait out the attention, and write something else. That's what I do. I wrote about myself as a Jew, as a woman, and it struck a nerve. Mostly, I was amazed by the positive comments and more, how easily the negative ones were shallow and angry.

But I long to close my eyes and ears to the Trump administration. He has a lot of work to do in America and I wish both the new president and the country only good things. Americans need to understand that ones they are hurting by this divisive attitude (and action) is more themselves than anyone else. Ultimately, the choice is theirs - their country to build or destroy.

As much as I enjoyed the "fame" of the moment, I long to get back to the personal, back to me, back to my life, my country. My eyes turn inward. It is Thursday and I'm overwhelmed with work. I haven't written much about the personal side of life and I miss that.

So...David is stationed on the border...like ON the border. And Shmulik has had a baby boy. He's precious and sweet and I marvel as I watch my children hold their nephew (and son), and when Elie's little daughter informs me that she has a cousin and his name is Lavi and when he's bigger, he'll have another name...even though he already does. His name is Lavi Avraham.

Lavi means a lion, a cub. And he is named for my husband's father, who was named David Levi. We have spent the last month watching him grow, watching Shmulik and his wife turn into parents and our family dynamic switch to bring in their precious son.

I'm deep into the annual conference madness (MEGAComm - and here's something I've never done. Let's see how many people from my professional life read my blog...if you are reading this and want a discount between now and January 31, contact me and I'll give you a 50% discount!) and planning another trip to India for a conference there (sorry, not my conference so I can't offer you a discount).

I've started to paint - I need to write about that..and get ready to go soon for my two hours of peace in a sea of demands. It's part of exploring if I have talent...don't get excited, I'm still not convinced this wasn't a one-off, but I do love looking at the apple I painted and have to find the landscape I want to do next.

And finally, I yearn to drive around Israel and just look. I miss this country, outside the walls of work and family and all the other things going on.

It's fun to get a lot of attention but it's awkward because that post wasn't to much about who I am and who I am not. There were two things that touched me most about that post. The first was where I explained who I was - but in many ways, I saw from hundreds of comments that those words didn't really impact on others, when in many ways that was one of my major messages. The second part was, for me, the most important part, and that too didn't seem to carry as much of the message I wanted to deliver as other parts (for those who want to know what I'm talking about, it was the last three paragraphs of that post.

But life isn't always about fun. Next week...soon, I will have international guests fly in to Israel and I'll take them around and talk about my country. I don't yet know where I will take them or what they want to see, but just walking the land calms me.

Beyond a post that went viral, is a life to be lived, a family and a land to be loved. I can't blame others for not seeing me beyond my words, but I can blame myself if I get lost in the words and forget the life. I long to touch the sea, walk the land. Soon...soon I will steal a day and get in my car and drive and drive and drive. I'll get out of the car and stand on the mountain and look at my country. I'll look to the heavens and thank God that the land I walk is mine.

Beyond the politics, there is life. And life is to be celebrated.

May God bless the beautiful land and people of Israel.

1 comment:

Rahel Jaskow said...

Idea for your next painting: almond blossoms. I know one where the green parakeets hang out.

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.