Monday, February 6, 2017

The Politics of Silence

I'm tired of politics.

No, really.

I want.

I want to write about what is important in life. Today I got to hold, kiss, hug, each of my four grandchildren. Does life get any better than that?

My computer is set to default after two minutes or so of inactivity to a slideshow of recent pictures taken of most of my family. At two recent events celebrating the birth of my youngest grandson, there was a photographer and we took a lot of family pictures. I'm looking forward to adding those pictures into the same folder. Does life get any better than that?

It was freezing cold here in Israel. The January rain came in a vengeance in the last few days of the month. But today was warm and sunny. We opened the house and let the warm sunshine in. By 4:00 p.m. it was getting cold again, but still the house seemed brighter, fresher, cleaner. But it was starting to get cold; the sun was getting ready to set. So we closed the house, lowered the plastic shutters.

And as the night came around, I bounced back and forth between social media (primarily Twitter and Facebook) and last minute things I wanted to finish for work. Amira came around with her two precious sons. They joined Elie and his beautiful daughter for dinner in my living room. Three innocent children who know nothing of politics, violence what worldly tensions. Michal has grandparents who live in the US, so she knows there is a place called "New York." To her, it is a place of love and warmth. None of them know anything about a place called the United Nations, or even the White House, Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.

After dinner, Yosef and Aharaon went home with their mother, amid hugs and kisses and the knowledge they live only a few kilometers away. Michali went to sleep and Shmulik called to say that if I wanted to come over, I could see my newest grandchild, baby Lavi. So I drove a few kilometers and got to hold little Lavi as he slept and dreamed baby dreams in my arms.

As the hour grew late, I returned home. Back to my computer, back to politics. And somehow I realized I had reached the point that I couldn't write anymore about Trump and Clinton, America and Europe and immigration and refugees. I've had enough.

I'm tired of politics...

And the problem is that deep down I believe that even silence is a political decision. And I've never accepted silence as a viable solution, a real alternative to speaking what you believe to be right.

And yet...and yet. I'm tired of the anger, the hatred, the seemingly irrational leaps people are making. No, he didn't ban ALL Muslims...he didn't even pick the nations from where...TEMPORARILY...he wants America to stop immigration. The facts are so different from the fears but you can't stop people bent on hate and you can't stop people bent on fearing.

So, at least for now, I'm going to go back to posting about what I love to write - my country, my people, my family. I return to where I started and where I've never left. Enough politics - at least that which takes place on distant shores. Enough.


1 comment:

nn said...

"I'm tired of politics...
And the problem is that deep down I believe that even silence is a political decision. And I've never accepted silence as a viable solution, a real alternative to speaking what you believe to be right."

Paula,
I read your words and am happy for you.
I do not know why, but I think of the "silent thin voice" :)

"And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before YY . And, behold, YY passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before YY ; but YY was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but YY was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but YY was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice."

And I remember His words:

"A man's heart deviseth his way:
but YY directeth his steps."

and

"I am YY , and there is none else.
I form the light, and create darkness:
I make peace, and create evil:
I YY do all these things."

and

"Rest in YY ,
and wait patiently for him:
fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way,
because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass."

Dear Paula,
whatever happens, we can trust in YHWH at any time.
He does not allow anything, that He does not want to happen.
He does everything,
He is trustworthy.
He completes everything for good.

For you, for your family, for your friends, for Israel.
And in the end for the whole creation.

Let us trust in God.

Copyright Statement

Everything on this site is protected and copyrighted according to Israeli and international laws. Violators WILL be prosecuted.

For permission to use pictures or text from this site, please write to: info@paulasays.com.